Like the Prussian tower and the
Bavarian tower at the east entrance of the
Olympiastadion, the Glockenturm (bell tower) is a reinforced-concrete structure,
which is covered with limestone that is marked by fossil imprints of sea shells.
The Nazis built the Langemarckhalle as a monumental ceremonial hall,
in which they honored the young soldiers who were killed at Langemarck shortly
after the outbreak of the First World War. On May 11, 1936, a huge bell was installed
in the bell tower. The sculptor, Walter E. Lemcke, created the bell, which was
cast in Bochum. Today the bell stands on a pedestal beside the Olympiastadion.
The bell and correspondingly the tower symbolized the power and the strength on the
Nazi-state, because this bell served as a church bell and, during the Nazi-state, would
ring at baptisms and funerals.
In 1945, the Glockenturm was burnt
out; a film archive was maintained in it during the
war. In 1948, the English Allies demolished the heavily-damaged tower; and, in the 1950s,
Werner March rebuilt it.
Text Source: http://www.courses.psu.edu/nuc_e/nuc_e405_g9c/berlin/sonstiges/maifeld.html
Picture Source: http://www.fortunecity.de/olympia/kraft/195/kletter_bln/olymp_st/olympiast.htm
Click on the thumbnails to see larger pictures.
Return to the main Olympic Stadium page
Return to the Equilibrium main page
Return to Films & TV
Return to The Compleat Sean Bean Main Page