The Big Empty - Press Archive - The
Big Empty Ends Up Nice and Full
13 November 2003
- The Big Empty Ends Up Nice and Full
By Dave Linden
Cowboys. Aliens. Blue suitcases and bowling balls. Just another
night at the
- Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood as the
first feature film for writer/director Steve
- Anderson had its World Premier screening
as part of the AFI Los Angeles
- International Film Festival Sunday,
November 9, 2003.
- The Big Empty is a dark comedy set in
Los Angeles and in Baker, California.
- It's in Baker, amid the towering cacti
and the crowded truck stops, that The
- Big Empty pays homage to the pulpy,
fatalistic film noirs of the 1940s and 50s.
- "It (the film) took a long time.
I was a freelance (camera) guy at CNN for
- almost 10 years, but I never really
considered it my career. I just always
- wanted to make movie," said Anderson.
"This one was a special little script
- that people really seemed to grabbed
on to and now here I am walking up
- the red carpet tonight instead of covering
- The film stars Jon Favreau as John Person
who is a struggling actor in Hollywood.
- Behind on his rent and heavily in debt,
he accepts an unsolicited offer from
- a strange neighbor to courier a blue
suitcase up to the desert truck stop of
- Baker. But on arrival he discovers he's
already missed the mysterious man
- and soon he's reluctantly mixed up with
a young local vixen (Rachael Leigh
- Cook), her hot-headed jealous boyfriend
(Adam Beach), and paranoid,
- alien-obsessed locals. When an FBI agent
(Kelsey Grammer) arrives at the
- local watering hole to question him
about the murder and decapitation of his
- strange neighbor and hundreds of people
recently gone missing, John realizes
- that he might be mixed up in something
much more dangerous and bizarre
- than he ever imagined. Then, later that
dark night, when a Cowboy (Sean Bean)
- violently appears, John is faced with
choice that might change his life forever.
- "I like to stay involved in independent
film," said Favreau. "It's the type of
- movie that you don't have a chance to
do at the studio level."
- The Big Empty also stars Joey Lauren
Adams, Daryl Hannah, Melora Walters
- and Jon Gries.
- Opening in select theaters November
21, 2003, the film is produced by Echo
- Lake Productions, Aura Entertainment,
Rainstorm Entertainment, and North by
- Northwest Productions. The Big Empty
is distributed by Artisan Entertainment.